Regular exams and cleanings are the most important thing you can do to ensure good oral health for a lifetime. During a typical cleaning appointment, the dental hygienists at Citrus Valley clean, polish, and floss your teeth. We take extra time to ensure that we get all food particles stuck between teeth as well as remove built-up plaque. Dr. Jason Dulgarian inspects your teeth, jaws, and gums to determine if you have any issues that require follow-up treatment. The main benefit of preventive care is that it allows Dr. Dulgarian to diagnose and treat oral health issues as early as possible.
What to Expect at Your Routine Exam and Cleaning
A preventive exam entails much more than having your teeth cleaned. Dr. Dulgarian and his staff also perform the following services:
- X-rays and Diagnostic Assessment: Oral tumors, cysts, and significant tooth decay are just some of the issues that are difficult to detect with the naked eye. Diagnostic X-rays enable your dentist to see these types of issues and others so he can formulate a prompt treatment plan.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Red or white sores in your mouth that do not heal could indicate that you have oral cancer.
- Assessment of Gum Disease: The earliest signs of gum disease usually aren’t obvious to people, which is why having your dentist check for it regularly is so important. When left untreated, gum disease increases the risk of heart and lung disease in addition to diabetes.
- Diagnosis of Tooth Decay: Using a precise dental instrument, Dr. Dulgarian checks the surface of each tooth for decay.
- Dental Restoration Inspection: For patients with dental implants, fillings, crowns, bridges, or another type of restoration, Dr. Dulgarian checks to make sure it is still effective or determines that it should be replaced.
- Scraping of Tartar and Plaque: Tartar is made up of hard deposits on the teeth that causes debris to stick to them. It makes your teeth an unattractive yellow color. It also goes by the name calculus. Plaque is a colorless type of bacteria that forms a sticky film over the surface of your teeth. You may develop decay or an infection when plaque mixes with food particles and saliva and then remains on your teeth.
- Teeth Polishing: Even people who consistently brush and floss daily need professional assistance to remove plaque and tartar. Having your teeth polished at Citrus Valley provides them with the deep cleaning they need to remain healthy long-term.
Please contact us at Citrus Valley to schedule an appointment for an exam and cleaning or to learn more about what to expect.